Sparkling Basil Lemonade
- 4 cupswater
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (about 1-1/2 ounces)
- 2 1 liter bottles club soda, chilled
- 2 cups lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, sliced*
- Fresh basil leaves
1. For basil syrup, in a large saucepan combine water, sugar, and basil. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Strain syrup and discard leaves. Cover and chill syrup for 2 to 24 hours.
2. For lemonade, in a very large punch bowl combine chilled syrup, club soda, and lemon juice. Serve over ice and garnish with jalapeno slices and fresh basil leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
- Tip *Tip:Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If bare hands touch the peppers, wash hands and nails well with soap and warm water.