Makes 1 (9-inch) 3-layer cake
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup pink lemonade drink mix*
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
4 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemonade drink mix at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon extract.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly among pans.
Bake for 24 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
* For testing purposes, we used Country Time Pink Lemonade Drink Mix.
Makes about 4 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon lemon zest
6 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a large bowl, beat butter, lemonade concentrate, and lemon zest at medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.