Sunday, July 10, 2011

APRON APPRECIATION

This is a collection of my favorite aprons

I have just as many that are well worn

and folded up in the sideboard that are like

old friends I can't bear to part with.



A few of my favorite aprons from CarolynsKitchenOnline.com

I love that they come with matching

gloves and garters



My baby who will be 4 years old tomorrow loves

Mama's Aprons too as it means I am going to cook up

something good that she will be partaking in.

*******

My earliest memories of aprons were of my Italian Aunts and their friends baking cookies and making the gravy for the St.Joseph's Altar which is a huge deal in my family. They would begin baking 6 weeks before and store the cookies in large metal tins that potato chips used to come in way back in the day. Each layer of cookies separated by waxed paper and carefully arranged. Housecoats and aprons were the uniform of the day.

Years later my Step Grandmother made Christmas aprons for all the grandchildren. I was newly married and broke it out only on special occasions.


When I started my bakery business in Guam in 1992, I tied one on for the first time professionally. That seems like a life time ago.


In 2006 on Good Morning America's Sunday Morning , I watched an interview about :

The Apron Book: Making, Wearing, and Sharing a Bit of Cloth and Comfort by
EllynAnne Geisel (Author)


I had fond remembrances of old aprons but never gave it much more thought than that. After seeing that interview and subsequently buying all her books. I had kindled a nostalgia for aprons. I brought mine out and began wearing them and adding to my collection. I have aprons from several countries. My husband and I hosted a French Student one summer and his mother sent me a lovely book and apron from the Basque Region between Spain and France where they lived. That has to be the most perfect gift I have ever received.


Today I will put on one of my aprons clean my house, pick tomatoes and peppers from my garden, Bake a Tomato and Spinach tart, and take a moment to reflect fondly on all the women in aprons who have touched my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment